First Presbyterian Church of Normal affirms that all people are children of God and are created in the image of God. Believing this, we welcome all individuals into the life, community, and ministry of First Pres. This includes people of every age, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental ability, economic status, political belief, background, and past experience. No one is excluded, marginalized, or held outside the warm welcome of this congregation.
Recognizing the historical ways in which LGBTQ+ people have been specifically misunderstood and harmed within Christian environments, our church desires to be intentional in communicating that LGBTQ+ people are invited to participate fully within and enrich the community of our church with their experiences and gifts. We believe transparency and honesty are values worth upholding and pursuing regarding the openness and welcome of our congregation so that all people are able to be present and participate as their authentic selves.
- First Presbyterian Church of Normal stands against and condemns any and all forms of prejudice that would prevent any individual from feeling safe and welcome within any aspect of church life.
- First Presbyterian Church of Normal strives to be an affirming and inclusive church. We welcome all people, including our LGBTQ+ community members, to find fellowship, peace, inspiration, and conviction within the life, community, and ministry of this congregation, including the sacraments of Baptism and the Lord’s Supper.
- First Presbyterian Church of Normal affirms and celebrates the covenant of marriage shared between any two consenting, committed adults who are legally permitted to be married.
- First Presbyterian Church of Normal remains committed to its long tradition of women serving in leadership roles (ex. pastors, deacons, elders, liturgists) and we also hold that LGBTQ+ people can be and are encouraged to be full participants in the life, community, and ministry of the church, including positions of leadership.
- First Presbyterian Church of Normal acknowledges that diversity is necessary and beautiful but also challenging. While we strive to be a space of open welcome to all, we also affirm our willingness to do the hard work that is sometimes required to foster that diversity. We will not always get it right, but we will always work toward it, and we are committed to listening to the voices and experiences of every person.
The leadership of First Presbyterian Church of Normal strives to lead, encourage, and equip our community of faith to ensure this church is fully affirming and inclusive of all people while also upholding the values of love, peace, justice, and discipleship. Inspired by God’s grace and love, we seek to be a community that follows Jesus. We invite all people to join us.